Lazy Summer Beginning


We returned from our trip to Asheville a couple of days ago.  It was a lot of fun – I even survived without air conditioning for three nights!  Yes, there was a ceiling fan, but it was still muggy the last two nights!  We ate at Salsa! – a really great (and expensive) Caribbean restaurant in downtown Asheville.  We touched base with a friend of ours from Portland who just returned from a Peace Corps gig in Samoa.  We also had brunch with her sister – they have a great house outside of town. We brought the dog with us, and she was good – although we did get a call from the management while we were out at dinner the first night.

One night, we went to Green Life Grocery for dinner – it’s a very hippy-expensive grocery market.  I had a great shrimp salad with edamame salad and Asian slaw on the side.  I also bought a bottle of rose wine to drink with our meal – I had the rest of it on ice the next day (we did not get a cabin with a refrigerator!).  I mainly relaxed while my husband worked on a friend’s computer. Oh! And I had a great Boston Creme cupcake at the Sisters McMullen’s store in town.

On the way home, we stopped by the Carl Sandburg National Historical site and walked around a bit.  We also stopped at a roadside stand and bought peaches and strawberries.  They both are awesome, but they are ripening at an alarming rate.  I brought some to my mother and am trying to find a low-cal cobbler recipe to use the rest for.

Yesterday started out pretty normally – I have taken to sleeping until about noon now…  My mother’s Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has been declining lately, and she asked me to go and check on her while Mom was at work.

I stopped by Star Provisions for lunch.  I had a muffaletta sandwich – ate only half – and then bought the last two cornmeal cookies with lime icing and two Smores cupcakes.  They were gorgeous, and I looked up recipes to see if any equalled this one, but they didn’t.  These had a thin graham cracker crust in the bottom of the cup, with chocolate placed on top.  Then it looked like they poured the dense chocolate cake batter on top and sprinkled it with more graham cracker crumbs.  They topped it all off with a glop of marshmallow, browned (I assume blow-torched).  It was fabulous!

When I got to my mother’s condo to check on Marmi, she was not doing well at all.  We had all known that she was going to either go into kidney or heart failure someday soon.  I stayed with her all afternoon and it was obvious that she was having some sort of seizure.  I called Mom at work and we met her at the vet – my husband came and drove me there.  So now, Marmi (AKA Marmoo AKA Marmoomimoo – you get the picture) is at rest.  She will be missed.

That’s all for now.  I need to get up some sort of energy to start the organization I plan on achieving this summer!  Maybe tomorrow, Scarlett.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s