More Cupcakes

Standard

We are on the road to Covington.  Last night, I made cupcakes.  Dad’s birthday was a good excuse.  I made German chocolate cupcakes and Lemon-Ginger cupcakes.  This time I used can frosting.  I got two cans each of the coconut-pecan frosting for the German chocolate, and two cans of lemon for the lemon-ginger. 

I pretty much followed the directions on the German chocolate cake mix box, but I substituted buttermilk for the water and a stick of butter for the oil.  I added two tablespoons of cocoa powder, one teaspoon of vanilla, and a little more buttermilk.  I used the jumbo aluminum cupcake liners and that made about 18 cupcakes instead of 24.  

I had no problem with the coconut-pecan frosting – except for the fact that there is no way that one can of icing would frost a whole cake.  I augmented each can with more chopped roasted pecans and a few squirts of Hershey’s dulce de leche syrup.  I wonder how pralines or praline pecans would do.  Probably be too sweet.  One can with those additions frosted 9 jumbo cupcakes.  I topped each with a caramel chocolate Hershey’s kiss.  They were very good. 

Now, the ginger-lemon cupcakes didn’t come out as well as they have in the past.  I got a little too smart and added some of the canned icing to the cookies in the bottom of the cupcake liners.  Then I added buttermilk, butter, and the peel and juice of one lemon to the cake mix, adding in the crushed cookies afterwards.  That batch made 22 cupcakes – I didn’t fill them as full. 

I overcooked them just a tad – maybe the icing in the bottom was not a good idea – but they don’t taste too bad.  Since the frosting was canned, I got the big idea of using the pastry bags and tips that I bought a long time ago.  I augmented the icing with the last little bit of lemon curd and some leftover lemon icing I had in the freezer. 

 It was a mess!  I have no idea how you are supposed to fill that icing bag – the icing kept sticking to the sides.  Then, the icing that got to the bottom of the bag was dripping out of the tip.  Icing was squeezing out of the top, the bottom, everywhere!  Next time, I think I need to refrigerate the icing before I put it in the bag. 

Most of the cupcakes ended up looking pretty good, though.  The cake did not reach the top of the foil filler this time, and so the icing just made them level.  I topped each with a sugared lemon drop instead of the Lemonheads I had used before.  Dad likes the lemon drops, I think. 

After Wheat and I had a couple of samples each, there were exactly 36 cupcakes – just the right number for my lovely cupcake caddy.  I had to remove the Hershey’s kisses from four German chocolate cupcakes on the middle layer because they were too tall.  The top layer had enough headroom, however.

While looking for lemon icing recipes in the Cupcakes by the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook, I came across a gingerbread with pear cupcake recipe.  I also found some leftover GinGin hard candies that I might be able to crush into the mix.  That’s for another day.  I definitely will make the German chocolate cupcakes for school.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s